Charlotte–Mecklenburg is one of the fastest growing cities in the United States with
Blacks, Latin X and Asian Americans accounting for the highest growth demographically.
Within the Arts & Culture sector, the Arts and Science Council (ASC) is the community©
Local Arts Agency and manages a portfolio of investments. ASC largest grant making is
providing unrestricted Operating Support Grants to arts, science and history
There was a systematic approach to funding and the result of years of decisions led to
inequitable access and unjust outcomes for Charlotte-Mecklenburg Arts & Cultural
institutions led by Black, Latin X and Asian American organizations. This was no longer
acceptable and could no longer remain the case.
In the years following the adoption of their Cultural Vision Plan that outlined
ways to support the Charlotte-Mecklenburg community, ASC made a number of substantive changes to their organizational practices.
In the Fall of 2019, Reframe was tasked with assessing the internal practices and external landscape, develop an Impact Ambition and further refine their approach to building a more culturally inclusive Arts & Culture sector for all.
- Conducted internal and external stakeholder interviews to better understand ASC practices and approach to building a more culturally inclusive experience for all in Charlotte – Mecklenburg County.
- Conducted a 6Cs assessment to help understand the external landscape within the Arts & Culture sector.
- Based on the findings, developed a report out of the findings and led a Reframe Impact Ambition workshop with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Gleaned Arts & Culture industry, business, community and brand insights that defined the opportunity for ASC within the context of growth and sector cultural shortcomings.
- Developed a cross-cultural creative platform that addressed similarities and nuanced ethnic segments while also highlighting their unique specific needs, attitudes and behaviors.
- Developed ASC go-to-market playbook for building a more culturally inclusive Arts & Culture sector
- Shared report – out and findings with key internal and external stakeholders within the Arts & Culture sector.
- Gained alignment on the ASC Impact Ambition for the Future of Cities – Building a more culturally inclusive Arts & Culture sector.
- Developed a go-to-market playbook that included ASC Impact Ambition,
- Segmentation and Cross-Cultural Platform.